Head of Baking Science
Our client is a family-run company, one of the world's leading food ingredients producer and a global key player in yeast and fermentation. The group employs more than 10 000 people in the world in 81 subsidiaries based in 51 countries and has a commercial presence in 185 countries achieving a turnover of more than 2 billion of euros. Driven by passion and performance to serve their customers with high quality products, the group develops constantly innovative products and services, collaborates with more than 550 R&D experts (basic and applied research) and has a widespread networks of baking centers across the 5 continents.
For the past 3 years, the current Head of Baking Science has greatly contributed to making Baking Science R&D (activity representing 70% of company's business) a strategic function through innovative organizational, customer and business driven approach in order to create a tangible value. Being promoted to the new position internally, our client is looking for his successor to build on that has already done, to continue to lead, innovate and improve the global R&D Baking science function successfully.
Benefiting from company's R&D expertise and Bread making business, the Head of Baking Science's mission is to manage the activities of multidisciplinary team focused on developing and building knowledge, projects support to provide functional solutions to breadmaking customer. The essence of the role is to lead and manage performant baking science team (17FTE) and work in conjunction with all the BUs across the world as well as Commercial and Marketing teams to address business issues and opportunities.
As a member of the Project Monitoring Committee, working closely with Sales and Marketing Direction, Baking Centers, Regulatory, Industrial division and other internal and external stakeholders, you supervise close to 30 R&D projects per year and manage significant financial budget in order to develop key levers to drive the growth and innovation. You contribute to increase value creation of R&D investments by fostering scientific excellence, collaboration and organizational effectiveness.
As a group's Baking Science ambassador, you are participating actively in Internal and External Network, representing company by participating and communicating in congresses and scientific meetings.
- At least 10 years of experience, PhD graduate, in Industrial Baking R&D. Nice to have sourdough and starter previous industry experience.
- Proven industrial experience in the study of baking sciences and analysis.
- Established external scientific network on Baking science and technology.
- Solid background in food technology and a good knowledge of yeast and bacteria and fermentation processes.
- Entrepreneur mindset and appetite to propose Innovative concepts.
- Strong skills in Project and Portfolio Management with proven experience in leading multidisciplinary teams by influence and coordination and not by hierarchical authority.
- Good communicator, ability to summarize well and adapt messages to different audiences.
- Strong management and interpersonal skills, determined with team spirit mind-set.
- A professional level of English is required. Basic French and motivation to train is necessary.
The job is located in North of France, Lille area.